Friday, May 13, 2016

12-13 May - Visiting KY and TN Sites and Scuba Diving

(Updated with pictures)

12 May (Thursday)
Thursday we visited the Trail of Tears Commemorative Park in Hopkinsville KY.  As a result of the Indian Removal Act of 1830, several tribes were forces west.  The Trail of Tears documents the route used by the Cherokee and others to make the journey from primarily the southeastern states to Oklahoma.  The site at Hopkinsville KY preserves many artifacts and two Chief’s graves. 

We then traveled north and west to visit the Land Between the Lakes National Recreation Area.  This is 170,000 tract of land located in Kentucky and Tennessee between Lake Barkley and Kentucky Lake.   While there we visited the Elk and Bison Prairie and saw many Eastern Bluebirds and a herd of bison in the distance.  The Elk have apparently gone south for the winter and not returned yet LOL!  Then we drove route 453 south back into Tennessee and back to Fort Campbell.  We passed Fort Donelson National Park and we plan to revisit it’s battlefields maybe Saturday if I don’t dive again.





After returning to our campsite we ventured into Fort Campbell and visited the Commissary and PX to restock supplies.  Both facilities were HUGE, but Fort Campbell is HUGE with undoubtedly a HUGE Soldier population with it’s 101st Airborne Headquarters.

Returning to the campgrounds we finished a great day with some pork chops on the grill and a cold beverage!

13 May (Friday)
I explained previously one of my neglected passions is scuba diving.  As we planed the route of this trip, scuba destinations was a factor.  I found a scuba diving lake (quarry) in Hopkinsville KY called Pennyroyal. You can virtually dive anywhere, but what makes a body of water a scuba lake (usually a quarry) is sunked stuff to look at and support services such as air tank rental and refill capability.  I visited Pennyroyal’s web site and added my name to a “buddy list” for those divers like myself seeking someone to dive with.  Diving is a self-regulating sport, and most facilities do not allow “solo” diving.  Since Doreen does not dive, either I find a biddy, hire a dive guide when available, or I sit on the shore and watch!  So I found a dive buddy via the list and made arrangements via email to dive today at Pennyroyal Scuba Center and Blue Springs Resort in Hopkinsville, KY. 

My dive partner was George Panavides.  The ironic part is today he was taking the solo/self-reliant diver course at Pennyroyal, the course I contemplated taking to certify me to dive on my own without a buddy.  The problem is the course is expensive, the additional gear is expensive, and many dive locations do not honor the certification.  So I decided against taking the course.  My first dive was with George, his instructor, and a couple other students while they did their certification dives for the solo diving course!  So I did not do much other than watch, but I was 25 ft down breathing compressed air and getting my nitrogen fix, so life is good!!  Plus it was interesting watching them deal with entanglement (fishing line, for instance), loss of their regulator, and several other solo diving emergencies.  So the first dive was 24 ft for 56 minutes.  18 ft average depth, 56F bottom temperature. 



The second dive was just with George as he had completed his course, so this was a fun dive.  We saw many sunked items to include a 22 ft yacht, 1942 fire truck, 45 ft wooden cabin cruiser, many small boats, an old Yamaha motorcycle, a scuba school bus, etc.  38 ft for 43 minutes.  20 ft average depth, 46F bottom temperature (below the thermocline). 



Doreen is a real trooper, sitting on the shore, soaking in some rays and tending to the puppy.  She says she does not mind it, but I am very thankful to have such an understanding spouse who tolerates my passions!


Tomorrow there is a chance I might dive again, if my dive buddy from Mermet Springs and her husband are available.  If not we have several other items on the to see/to do list before we bug out of Fort Campbell on Sunday and head to Camp Carlson near Louisville KY.

4 comments:

  1. I loved the pictures taken before of the ambulance. Did you take any this time down? Glad you can enjoy it! I am too claustrophobic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No underwater pictures this time. At Mermet Springs I was lucky to have a GoPro with an underwater housing. It belonged to the guy I dove wiith the first day and he told me just to keep it and use it the second day too. Maybe Santa will bring me one ;-)

      Delete
  2. For Midwest diving it was really great. It had rained so it was sturred up a bit, but still had ~35ft vis at 20 ft. Would have been a lot more below the thermocline

    ReplyDelete